Covid-19 is spread worldwide including India in which crores of people are affected and millions are dead in the last year. To prevent the spread of coronavirus, a mask is essential for people in all public places including restaurants, marriage ceremonies, religious gatherings, and many more. So, you should wear a mask before visiting crowded places or any other events or public gatherings to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
Acne breakouts are one of the common diseases due to wearing a mask is known as ‘’Maskne’’. Maskne is a side-effect of wearing a mask for a long time. If you wear a mask regularly then it may cause several other skin problems including redness, irritation, and bumpiness.
Common Maskne Skin Condition – There are several skin problems due to wearing a mask to prevent the spread of coronavirus are given below –
- Acne – This type of skin problem occurs if your skin pores get clogged with oil, dead skin cells, and dirt that may cause you to develop whiteheads, blackheads, and pimples.
- Folliculitis – It is that type of skin infection with your hair follicles, which causes bumps and appears such as an acne breakout.
- Contact Dermatitis – This type of skin problem occurs if you are allergic to the fabric of your mask that may cause a red rash along with blisters and irritation.
Causes of Maskne Skin Condition – Due to wearing a mask for a long period, several skin problems occur. So, the symptoms and causes can differ in many skin problems. Most cases of maskne conditions are caused due to clogged pores. If you wear the mask on your face daily then these substances may accumulate and clog your skin pores. When you wear a mask then it also entraps humidity that is caused by breathing and sweating thus it may enhance the risk of developing acne on your face. The fabric of a mask may cause irritation and chafing which is another cause of acne breakout. Chafing is one of the skin problems due to the combination of irritating fabrics, moisture, and friction.
Treatment of Maskne – There are several tips to prevent skin problems that are associated with Maskne conditions are discussed below –
- Use a gentle cleanser – You can apply a gentle cleanser to remove extra sweat and dirt. But do not use a cleanser that has perfume or alcohol because it can cause skin irritation. You may also apply a medicated cleanser that contains salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide in the extreme cases of maskne condition. Before using, you must ask your doctor about the best-medicated cleanser when your skin is sensitive.
- Washing your face regularly – You can wash your hands and face regularly due to the Covid-19 pandemics that lower the risk of virus transmission. If you wear a mask daily then, first of all, wash your face in the morning before wearing a mask. Secondly, after wearing a face mask for a long time you should wash your face and lastly, wash your face at night before sleep.
- Do not use make-up products – You should avoid any make-up products during treating maskne conditions because many make-up products including concealer, blush, and many more can block your pores and extend the remedial process.
- Use a non–comedogenic moisturizer – You may also apply a moisturizer to keep skin hydrated after washing your face before wearing a mask. When you use a non-comedogenic moisturizer then it may be good for your skin health.
- Use a moisturizer and cortisone with ceramides – You should use mild cortisone cream in the affected skin areas with a moisturizer that contains ceramides. When you have maskne conditions after wearing a mask regularly then it is helpful to shield your skin and reduce itching and irritation.
Conclusions – During a Covid-19 pandemic, the mask is necessary for people to lower the spread of coronavirus. But it may cause many skin issues due to wearing a mask for a long-time including acne, pimples, small bumps, itching, and many more. These are several tips are discussed to prevent several skin problems during wearing a mask. When you follow these several tips or treatments then it may prevent maskne conditions due to wearing a mask.