Vitamin B9 is also known as folic or folate acid and is a water-soluble vitamin. Folate acid is found naturally in foods whereas folic acid is the synthetic form of B9 that is found in supplements and fortified foods.
Vitamin B9 or Folic acid is very important for proper brain function and plays an important role in emotional and mental health. This vitamin also helps in the production of RNA and DNA, the genetic body’s materials. It is a very important vitamin when tissues and cells are growing rapidly such as in pregnancy, infancy, and adolescence. Vitamin B9 also works with vitamin B12 that helps in making red blood cells and ironwork properly in the body. Vitamin B9 works with vitamin B12 and B6 that lower the blood levels of the amino acid homocysteine that reduce the risk of heart disease.
Benefits of vitamin B9 – There are several benefits of vitamin B9 are as given below –
- Lower the risk of heart attack – Folate-based supplements may lower the risk of heart attack and help in improving heart health. Vitamin 9 lowers the level of amino acid homocysteine that reduce the risk of heart problem. A high level of amino acid homocysteine is responsible for heart disease.
- Promote brain health – As per research, folic acid supplements can improve brain function especially in those people who are suffered from mental impairment. It also helps in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Reduce diabetes – Folate-based supplements can be used in lowering blood sugar levels in the blood and increase cardiovascular function for those with diabetes. It also helps in lowering diabetic complications such as neuropathy.
- Birth defects – As per research, women who take folic acid supplements before conception and at the time of the first trimester can decrease the risk of having children by 72 to 100 percent. Folic acid can also help in preventing miscarriage as per the study.
- Depression – As per the study, folic acid can decrease the symptoms of or relieve in depression due to low levels of folate are linked with an increase in the risk of depression and poor response to antidepressant treatment. Folic acid is beneficial to improve response to antidepressants including fluoxetine, especially in women.
- Cancer – As per research, folic acid help in protecting against the development of several cancers such as breast cancer, stomach cancer, cervical cancer, and many more.
Sources of Vitamin B9 – There are several sources of vitamin B9 are given below –
- Beef liver
- Dark leafy greens
- Whole grains
- White beans
- Orange juice