Vitamin A – It is a fat-soluble or oil-soluble vitamin which is also known as retinol. This vitamin is essential for the growth of normal skin and hair.
It is also necessary for maintaining healthy eye-sight, especially in the night vision. Vitamin A is also important for the growth, maintenance and development of the immune system, good vision, and cell growth.
Types of Vitamin A – There are two types of vitamin A are as discussed below –
- Retinoids – This type of vitamin A comes from animal products.
- Beta–carotene – This type of vitamin A comes from plants.
Sources of Vitamin A – There are several sources of Vitamin A are fish, milk, butter, carrot, pumpkin, green leafy vegetables, cod liver oil, ripe mango, and ghee.
Benefits of vitamin A – There are some of the benefits of vitamin A are as given below –
- Reduce the risk of cancer – Vitamin A is used in the development and growth of the cells that help in lowering the risk of cancer. As per the study, intake high amount of vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene is linked to decrease the risk of several types of cancers including Hodgkin’s lymphoma, bladder cancer, and cervical lung.
- Improve immune system – Vitamin A helps in maintaining or improving the immune system of the human body. As per the study, this vitamin is involved in the function and production of white blood cells that helps to fight bacteria and virus in your bloodstream.
- Prevent acne – Acne is an inflammatory and chronic skin disorder. As per research, vitamin A plays an important role in lowering the risk of acne. Vitamin A-based medications also help in treating acne as per research.
- Strong bone – This vitamin A helps in maintaining strong bones and lower the risk of fractures or other bone-related problems. As per research, vitamin A is essential for the growth and development of bones.
- Healthy eyes – Vitamin A also helps in preventing the problem of night blindness and may beneficial to slow the age-related decline of your eyesight.
- Encourages reproduction and healthy growth – As per research, vitamin A is necessary for the healthy growth of babies during pregnancy and reproductive health in both men and women.