The chemical name of vitamin B6 is pyridoxine and is a water-soluble vitamin, which is used in fat, carbohydrate, and protein metabolism. This vitamin is also used in creating red blood cells and neurotransmitters. The body cannot produce vitamin B6 thus it obtains from supplements and food. Most of the people get enough vitamin B6 by their diet and take adequate amounts of vitamin B6 is important for optimal health. Vitamin B6 may also be used in preventing and treating chronic diseases.
Benefits of vitamin B6 – There are some of the benefits of vitamin B6 are as given below –
- May prevent anemia – Vitamin B6 is used in the production of hemoglobin that may help in treating and preventing anemia. The function of hemoglobin is to deliver oxygen to your cells and low hemoglobin may develop anemia.
- Improve mood – Vitamin B6 is used in changing the mood because it is essential to create neurotransmitters, which maintain emotions such as dopamine, serotonin, and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). This vitamin also helps in reducing high blood levels of the amino acid homocysteine that have been related to depression and other psychiatric problems.
- Treat nausea in pregnancy – Vitamin B6 is used in the treatment of vomiting and nausea during pregnancy. As per research, vitamin B6 also helps in treating morning sickness during pregnancy.
- May lower the risk of cancer – As per research, vitamin B6 may help in reducing the risk of developing certain types of cancer by fighting inflammation, which may cause cancer and other chronic conditions.
- Promote eye health – Vitamin B6 may help in preventing eye diseases including a type of vision, which affects older adults known as age-related macular degeneration (AMD). As per a study, this vitamin is used in lowering elevated blood levels of homocysteine and may lower the risk of AMD.
- Treat inflammation linked with Rheumatoid Arthritis – As per research, vitamin B6 may help in lowering symptoms that are linked with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Reduce the risk of heart attack – Vitamin B6 may prevent clogged arteries that lower the risk of a heart attack because it reduces elevated homocysteine levels which are linked with several disease processes including heart problems.
- May lower the risk of Alzheimer – Vitamin B6 may help in promoting brain function that lower the risk of Alzheimer’s disease as per a study.
Sources of vitamin B6 – There are various sources of vitamin B6 are chickpeas, potatoes, bananas, salmon, tuna, peanuts, pork, oats, chicken, and many more.