Lettuce – It is a leafy vegetable that is known for giving salads their base and is an excellent source of vitamin K that helps in making strong bones and lower the risk of uncontrolled bleeding. Thus, it promotes blood clotting. Lettuce can also be used in sandwiches, soups, and salads for extra flavour and nutrition.
About thousands of years ago, lettuce was first cultivated by Egyptians which is technically known as Lactuca sativa. Egyptians used these seeds to produce oil and utilized the leaves of this useful vegetable. This plant was considered as a sacred due to it had cultural and religious significance in ancient times in Egypt. Afterward, the Greeks and Romans also cultivated this plant.
There are various nutrients in the Lettuce including moisture, energy, protein, fat, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and sugars. The minerals and vitamins are also in the lettuce such as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium, zinc along with some vitamins which contain thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin B-6, C, A, E, and vitamin K.
Health benefits of lettuce – In past times, lettuce has been cultivated as a vegetable. It was also used medically by ancient people. As per scientific research, there are some health benefits of lettuce which is as discussed below
- Anti–Inflammatory Properties – Lettuce contain anti-inflammatory properties that are used in controlling inflammation.
- Strong Bones – Lettuce has a great source of vitamin K that helps in making strong bones and lower the risk of bone fracture.
- Protects Neuronal Cells – Neurons are brain cells which form physical connections for memory. The decease of neurons affects the connections or circuits and resulting in the loss of memory. Lettuce is used in controlling the death of neuron cells death due to its role in glucose/serum deprivation (GSD). As per research, lettuce can be used in neuroprotection as a common remedy for neurodegenerative diseases.
- Improve eye health – Due to the great source of vitamin K, lettuce can lower the risk of cataracts and also prevent macular degeneration.
- Decreasing Cholesterol Levels: Lettuce can be used in reducing cholesterol levels which results in cardiovascular disease and other hazardous diseases. High cholesterol levels are injurious to a person who are suffering from any heart attacks or strokes.
- Healthy heart – Lettuce contains potassium and magnesium that help in boosting a healthy heart. Magnesium and potassium keep a healthy heartbeat which is beneficial for heart health.
- Reduce blood pressure – As per the study, lettuce contains potassium that helps in lowering blood pressure and lowers the risk of heart disease or stroke.
- Weight loss – Due to the low content of calories in the lettuce, it helps in reducing weight and promotes weight loss.
- Anti–Cancer Properties: As per research, lettuce leaf helps in lowering the risk of several types of cancer including stomach cancer, mouth cancer, and lung cancer as per the study. This is a very dangerous disease in medical science.
- Antioxidant Properties: According to research, lettuce contains antioxidants with important free radical-scavenging capabilities. Antioxidants are a wide range of biochemicals that are very essential for good human health. Antioxidants are used in reducing free radicals, that are formed during cellular metabolism. These free radicals are harmful to healthy tissues, cells, and DNA. They can also affect healthy cells and change into cancer cells and resulting in the growth of several diseases. Antioxidants neutralize these free radicals for better health before the free radical attacks take place.
- Lower the risk of Type-2 Diabetes – As per the study, consumption of regular lettuce helps in reducing the risk of type -2 diabetes because it contains anti-diabetic carotenoid, lactucaxanthin that lowering the level of glucose in the blood.
- Healthy digestive system – Lettuce also contains fibers that helps in preventing bloating and constipation. It is also used in relieving stomach pain and also helps in treating indigestion that promotes digestive health.
- Better sleep – Lettuce contains lactucin that promotes good sleep and relaxation as per the study. Thus, it also prevents the problem of insomnia. It also contains lactucarium which is also used for better sleep.
- Boost immunity – Due to the presence of vitamins A and C, it may help in boosting immunity that fight diseases.
- Keep Hydrated – Lettuce has a high content of water that may maintain hydration and promote fullness.
5 Comments Add yours
The post has made me appreciate Lettuce more than ever. Thanks for the useful insights.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Most welcome, thanks for appreciation and reading my post
Would love to add it to my daily salad!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yes u also add in salad, thanks for reading my post