Alcohol is a slow poison which is harmful for our health. It also harms both physical and mental health. There are several different types of form of alcohol such as wine, beer, whisky and many more are harmful for our health. Beginning with small quantities of alcohol for pleasure and adventure, people become addictive to it and take to heavy drinking. Alcohol is quickly absorbed into the body without being changed in the process of digestion. When alcohol goes into the blood stream, it circulates swiftly, and exerts a rapid stimulating effect on all the organs with which it comes into contact. Though alcohol produces quite a lot of energy in the body cells, through respiration, but alcohol is not considered a food because of its harmful effects. Do not drink any type of alcohol because the initial stimulating effect is succeeded by one of depression and if too much alcohol is taken, this depression of bodily activities may result in coma and death.
Alcohol reduces alertness of mind and in extreme cases, causes liver damage. Alcohol is an intoxicant, thus under the influence of alcohol, a person loses his sense of discrimination. This increases the crime in our society. Alcohol drinking also affects the family and community life. Drinking Alcohol is also the main reason for increasing road accidents. Thus alcohol drinking leads to increased road accidents, social crimes, and other illegal activities.
There are several harmful effects of drinking alcohol are discussed below –
- Excessive alcohol can damage liver by storage of fat in it.
- Drinking alcohol impairs judgment and reduces mental restrain and self control. Many criminals drink liquor before doing their wicked needs. Alcohol dulls their sense of right and wrong. Several youths are led to sin under the influence of alcohol.
- Alcohol may damage the nervous system of the body. It also damages blood vessels, stomach and kidneys.
- Alcohol lowers the resistance of the body thus it affects the lungs which cause several diseases such as tuberculosis and pneumonia.
- Drinking of large quantities of alcohol affects the control and co-ordination mechanisms of the body, and the person may become unconscious and may even die.
- Alcohol increases the number of road accidents. A drunk driver is a danger for himself as well as for other persons who travel by other vehicle.
- Alcohol drinking by a person worsens the economic condition of the family. It also main cause of broken relationships and damage family.
- Drinking alcohol is one of the main causes for increase road accidents, social crimes, and other illegal activities.
- Drinking alcohol increases blood pressure which is not good for heart health.
- It also affects the brain.
- It is one of the main reasons for domestic violence against women.