Spinach – It is very popular green leafy vegetable and also called as Palak in India. Its technical name is Spinacia oleracea and is belonging to the Amaranthaceae family. Spinach is rich in minerals, vitamins, pigments, and phytonutrients. The spinach provides a less calories and is free of fat and calories.
Health benefits of spinach – There are several health benefits of spinach are as given below
- Reduce blood pressure – The spinach rich in potassium and less in sodium and is very useful in reduce blood pressure. It has also folate which also used in reduce hypertension and relaxes blood vessels. Due to lower the blood pressure, reduce stress and improve the functioning of cardiovascular system. The peptides also present in spinach which decreased blood pressure Peptides contained in spinach are effective in lowering blood pressure and prevent the angiotensin I-converting enzyme.
- Cure Anaemia – The spinach is rich in iron so it can use in treatment of anaemia. It is also used for menstruating women and growing children. Due to rich in iron, it can increase the haemoglobin which transports oxygen to all the cells of the body.
- Treatment of Atherosclerosis and Heart Attack – If unnecessary fat is stored in a body then it causes thickening of artery in the human body which results Atherosclerosis and Heart attacks. Spinach contains Lutein content so it is used to prevent the thickening the walls of arteries and also lower the risk of heart attack. It also rich in nitrite then it benefits in the treatment of heart attack and also treats the heart diseases related with stored fat in the human body.
- Lower the risk of cataract – Both the lutein and zeaxanthin acts as strong oxidants which are found in the spinach. This protecting the eyes from the severe effects of UV rays which can resulting to cataracts. It also decreases the influence of free radicals which is main cause of cataracts and other eye diseases.
- Lower the risk of cancer – There are several constituents are present in the spinach which can used in the treatment of various types of cancers such as bladder, prostate, liver and lung cancers. As per research, spinach contain neoxanthin and violaxanthin, which decreases tumorous activity and prevents the spread of cancer throughout the body Spinach is also rich in flavonoids- with anti-cancer properties so it is very effective against the occurrence of aggressive prostate cancer.
- Strong bones – Spinach contain vitamin K which is used for keeping strong bone. It also provides and retaining the calcium which results preventing the developing of osteoporosis, helps in building the healthy muscle tissues and also necessary for maintaining healthy teeth and nails.
- Reduce hypertension – Spinach is beneficial for reduce hypertension which helps in for lowering stress and anxiety. The hypertension causes kidney diseases, heart ailments and stroke.
- Better eyesight – The beta-carotene, lutein, and xanthene are found in spinach that is beneficial for better eyesight. Beta-carotene can cure several eye diseases such as vitamin A deficiencies, itching eyes, eye ulcers, and dry eyes.
- Improves nervous and brain functions – The spinach also helps in better functioning of brain in old age. Spinach has folate, vitamin K and vitamin C that are beneficial in modulating the hormone production of our nervous system.
- Lower inflammation – The Neoxanthin and violaxanthin are two anti-inflammatory epoxyxanthophylls are present in spinach which controlling the inflammation. Thus, it helps in curing inflammatory diseases such as arthritis, osteoporosis, migraine headaches and asthma.