A gynecologist is a doctor or surgeon who are specializing in diagnosing and treating several diseases of the female reproductive system. It is important to note that the female reproductive system is responsible for menstruation and pregnancy. They are involved in the reproductive health of females from puberty through menopause. A gynecologist may also treat specific conditions that affect the urethra, rectum, and bladder of a female person which are depending on how it relates to the reproductive system.
What does a gynecologist do?
A gynecologist is a doctor who diagnoses and treats problems with female reproductive organs. They also deal with all the aspects of sexual health such as cancer screening, pelvic exams, preventive care, and treatment for vaginal infections. They also diagnose and treat reproductive disorders of any female person including infertility, pelvic pain, ovarian cysts, and endometriosis. A gynecologist may also care for female individuals who are suffering from cervical, ovarian, and many other reproductive cancers. Several gynecologists also practice or work as obstetricians who provide care throughout the birth and pregnancy. If any gynecologist has proficiency in obstetrics, then they are known as an OB-GYN. They are also treating sexually transmitted diseases, menstrual, or hormonal disorders in female individuals.
When a female person visits to a Gynecologist
Generally, most female individuals meet with a gynecologist for pregnancy and many other issues. Some women visit a gynecologist that is recommended for a fair checkup during the pregnancy period. There are several other reasons of females visit a gynecologist are given below –
- If any female individual has irregular or abnormal periods or menstruation problems during the monthly cycle then visit the gynecologist.
- If any woman is suffering from cervix cancer or breast cancer or many more cancers that are based on the reproductive tracts then they visit the gynecologist.
- If any woman has a problem with tissues, muscles, and ligaments which support the pelvic organs then visit to a gynecologist for treatment.
- If any woman is suffering from sexually transmitted infections then visit to a gynecologist for treatment.
- If any woman has any problem with pregnancy termination, sterilization, and many other issues then visit to a gynecologist.
- Some women visit to a gynecologist for annual checkups during the pregnancy period.
- If any woman may suffer from Endometriosis that may affect the reproductive system then visit to a gynecologist for treatment.
What tests are performed by a gynecologist
A genealogist may perform several tests that are depending on the symptoms and problems of patients. There are several tests that are performed by a gynecologist are discussed below –
- Hormonal Test – There are some hormonal tests that are performed by a gynecologist are given below –
- Progesterone test – Progesterone helps the uterus to prepare for a fertilized egg. When the uterus receives a fertilized egg then the progesterone is high but if the egg is not fertilized then it may result in a new menstrual cycle and the progesterone level decreases. But if the progesterone level reduces then it may increase the risk of miscarriage during pregnancy.
- Estrogen test – It is one of the blood tests which check the level of estrogen in the human body. Estrogen is a hormone which helps in the wellness of a female individual. A gynecologist recommends estrogen tests for those women who are suffering from vaginal bleeding even after an abnormal menstrual cycle or if puberty does not hit. This test is also recommended for infertile women.
- Testosterone test – Testosterone is a male hormone but women also produce it in the ovaries. A gynecologist recommended a testosterone test for those women who are missed their periods with symptoms of an increase in weight, facial hair development, acne, reduction in sexual drive, and many more.
- Follicle Stimulating Hormone or FSH Test – A Gynecologist asks for this test in irregular menstrual cycles, tumors or ovarian cysts in the pituitary gland, or PCOS cases.
- Screening Tests – There are several tests that are performed by a gynecologist are given below –
- Mammography – It is the best technique or test that helps in detecting breast cancer, especially in women. Mammography has the capability for detecting this cancer at an early stage. A biopsy is done to identify the presence of cancer cells in the body because mammography is a sensitive method.
- Papanicolaou or PAP test – It is the test that may initially detect cervical cancer in the human body. The Papanicolaou test is also capable of identifying the precancerous changes in the cells. PAP test is similar to the HPV test in which the physician collects a sample of the cells from the cervix and then sends them to the laboratory for an additional test.
- Human Papillomavirus or HPV test – A gynecologist recommends an HPV test when the PAP test is uncertain or it may show many abnormalities which may be an outcome of Human Papillomavirus infection. In this type of test, doctors collect samples from the cervix with the help of a brush, collect several cells from the cervix and send them to a laboratory for a microscopic test.
- Diagnostic test – There are several diagnostic tests that are performed by a gynecologist are given below –
- Colposcopy – This type of test helps in finding out inflammation in the genital tissues, precancerous cells, cervix, and genital warts. A Gynecologist recommended suggesting a colposcopy test after an abnormal PAP test.
- Cervical biopsy – A gynecologist may perform this type of test as in case of HPV was positive. If there are some abnormal things in the pelvic test or PAP test then the doctor recommended a cervical biopsy test for the patient.
- Cystoscopy – If any individual has blood in the urine overactive bladder, or painful urination then a gynecologist recommended this test. This test also helps to diagnose bladder cancer.
- Laparoscopy – A gynecologist use this test for removing fibroids, and the uterus, treating chronic pelvic pain, performing tubal ligation, endometriosis, and diagnosing ovarian cysts. But it is different from open surgery.
- Hysteroscopy – It is the test that can be used in diagnosing and treating of cervical and uterine bleeding. A gynecologist uses a hysteroscopy test to remove abnormal tissues.
Conclusions –Several tests are performed by a gynecologist to detect cancer cells or any other issues in the human body that are discussed in this blog. Generally, most women visit to a gynecologist for pregnancy issues. Thus, a gynecologist plays an important role in the treatment of several cancers or pregnancy issues in women.