Introduction – World Mosquito Day is observed on August 20 every year to highlight the efforts of NGOs, and healthcare officials to fight against malaria. The main purpose of this day is to raise awareness about the dangerous diseases that are spread by these mosquitoes all over the world.
History – World Mosquito Day is observed on August 20 annually to honor the discovery of British Doctor, Sir Ronald Ross in the year 1897 is that Anopheles mosquitoes transmit malaria to human beings. In past, Tropical Medicine, and the London School of Hygiene has been organizing the event every year since 1930 to honor the work of Doctor Ronald Ross’s work.
Theme – In the year 2021, the theme of World Mosquito Day is ‘’Reaching the zero malaria target’’ that marks to prevent diseases caused by mosquitoes.
Important facts about mosquitoes – There are different types of mosquitoes, which acts as vectors for several diseases are discussed below –
- Aedes mosquitoes – This type of mosquito causes dengue, yellow fever, chikungunya, dengue, zika, and lymphatic filariasis.
- Anopheles – This type of mosquito cause lymphatic filariasis and malaria.
- Culex – This type of mosquito causes West Nile fever, Japanese encephalitis, and lymphatic filariasis.
Interesting facts about several Mosquito Types – There are different Mosquito Genera are as discussed below –
- Female Aedes aegypti bites frequently in the day and causes zika, dengue, yellow fever, and chikungunya. The peak biting periods of this mosquito is in the early morning and right before evening. This type of mosquitoes breeds in any type of storage container with a little quantity of water. The eggs of this type of mosquito can live without water for more than one year.
- Female Anopheles breed in rainwater pools, borrow pits, wells, river bed pools, irrigation channels, wells, seepages, and many more with a small quantity of water. This type of mosquito may cause malaria that mostly bites from evening to dawn.
- There are only female mosquitoes that depend on blood for existence whereas male mosquitoes feed on the nectar of flowers or other suitable sugar sources.
Prevention of diseases – You should follow the proper control measures that may be started in an early stage and if detected then take some steps to eliminate mosquitoes by emptying cooler containers, water bowls, and many more in one week. To prevent mosquitoes, you should cover all water containers that help in preventing mosquitoes at home. You must remove items that are responsible to collect rainwater on the roof. You can also check drainage system that may be born large number of mosquitoes and causes several diseases.