Bone Cancer – It is one of the rare cancers that occurs when a tumor or abnormal mass of tissue forms in a bone. A tumor may be cancerous which means it is growing aggressively and spreading to other parts of our body. Bone cancer affects the pelvis or the long bones in the arms and legs.
Primary bone cancers – It is one of the most serious in all bone cancers and forms directly in the bones or surrounding tissue such as cartilage. This type of cancer also spread from another part of your body to your bones is called secondary bone cancer. Secondary bone cancer is more common than primary bone cancer, especially in adults.
Secondary bone cancers – It develops when cancer spreads to the bone anywhere in the body. Most of the cancers can spread to the bones. If any individual is suffering from a problem of prostate and breast cancer, then increases the risk of secondary bone cancer. In this type of cancer, it may cause fractures, hypercalcemia, and pain due to an excess of calcium in the blood.
Types of Bone Cancer – There are several types of bone cancer which are as discussed below –
- Ewing’s Sarcoma – It is one of the rare cancers that begins directly in the bones of young adults and children or in the soft tissues surrounding the bones. This type of bone cancer affects the arms, legs, and pelvis of children and young adults.
- Osteosarcoma – It is one of the most common bone cancers that occur especially in young adults and children. This type of bone cancer affects the bones of the arms and legs. Osteosarcoma can also cause outside of bones (extraskeletal osteosarcomas) in rare circumstances. This bone cancer may also start in the shoulders, or shoulders and many more locations.
- Chondrosarcoma – It is one of the second most common bone cancer and occurs in the legs, shoulders, arms, and pelvis especially in adults over the age of 40 years. In this type of bone cancer, the cancerous cells produce cartilage, a type of connective tissue that lines the joints and then spreads to the bone and generally grows slowly.
Symptoms of Bone Cancer – There are some of the symptoms of bone cancer which are as given below –
- Weight loss
- Weak bones
- Night sweats
- Pain in bones
Causes of bone cancer – The exact cause of bone cancer is unknown, but it may be caused due to a link with hereditary factors and previous radiation exposure.
Risk Factors – Until now it is not clear that what is the cause of bone cancer but as per doctors, they found that some of the several factors related to an increased risk of bone cancer are as given below –
- Inherited genetic syndromes – There are rare genetic syndromes that passed through families and increase the risk of bone cancer including hereditary retinoblastoma and Li-Fraumeni syndrome.
- Radiation therapy – The large dosage of radiation therapy during the treatment of any type of cancer increases the risk of bone cancer in the future.
- Paget’s disease of bone – It is one of the problems that occur in older adults and increases the risk of developing bone cancer in the future.
It is important to note that a previous bone marrow transplant is one of the main risk factors for bone cancer.
Treatment of bone cancer – The treatment of any type of bone cancer depends upon the age and overall health of an individual, the stage of cancer, the size, and location of the tumor.
- Medications – There are some of the medications used in the treatment of bone cancers including
- Pain medications help in relieving discomfort and inflammation.
- Bisphosphonates are beneficial in protecting bones and preventing bone loss.
- Chemotherapy drugs for multiple myeloma, and cytotoxic drugs to prevent the growth of cancerous cells.
- Chemotherapy – This type of treatment uses several medicines for destroying cancer cells.
- Radiation therapy – It is one of the most common in the treatments of several cancers. The doctor may recommend radiation therapy for killing the cancerous cells to prevent bone cancer.
- Surgery – It is one of the main treatments of bone cancer which removes tumors and affected tissues. The surgery is used in replaced and removing damaged bone which may prevent the spreading of cancers.