Sleep deprivation is very common disease in all over the world including India and negative effects on our health. It is that state when not having sufficient sleep is either chronic or acute. In chronic condition, it causes sleepiness, loss or gain in weight, clumsiness, fatigue and daytime sleepiness. It can also harmful for the brain and function of cognitive.
Harmful effects of sleep deprivation
There are several negative effects of sleep deprivation on our health
- Depression – Lack of sleep and disorders in sleep creates depression. Insomnia is a common sleep disorder which is the first indication of depression. Insufficient sleep intensifies the indication of depression. This depression increases the suicidal thoughts which are very dangerous for human.
- Weight gain – Insufficient sleep increases the appetite and hunger which effects weight gain. Lack of sleep affects the two hormones namely leptin and ghrelin. The function of the hormones leptin and ghrelin is to control the feeling of hunger and fullness. When you ate food then leptin sends information to brain for fullness. But if you suffered the disease of sleep deprivation then brain reduces leptin and increases ghrelin in which you become obese. As per study, an individual sleep less than 6 hours is more obese as compares to an individual sleep more than nine hours. Increasing in weight is related to several diseases such as heart diseases, diabetes, high blood pressure and many more diseases.
- Not good for heart – Insufficient sleep effects the heart, sugar level in blood, high blood pressure and inflammation levels. Lack of sleep increases blood pressure, sugar level in blood, and obesity which adversely effects on heart. As per study, sleep deprivation increases the risk of heart attacks and stroke.
- Insufficient sleep causes accident – Due to lack of sleep creates the possibility of increase in accidents in road, rail, working with machines and many more. It is more dangerous and resultant to death.
- Feels tiredness – Individual, who suffered sleep deprivation, feels tires for whole day. It affects the work efficiency of an individual.
- Disrupt central nervous system – Sufficient sleep is essential for healthy central nervous system. In case of sleep deprivation, it disrupts central nervous system. The function of the central nervous system is sending information. Insufficient sleep causes brain exhausted and affects the function of brain. The sending information t brain delays and increases the risk of accidents. Lack of sleep also affects the mental abilities. If this disease go on for long time then starts hallucinations and creates manic depression resultant of depression and suicidal thoughts.
- Increases sugar level in blood – In case of sleep deprivation, it increases the insulin level. The function of the insulin is to maintain the sugar level in blood. High level of insulin encourages storage of fat and increases the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Affects skin – Insufficient sleep affects the skin of the body. If you do not sleep for long time then dull skin, fine lines, and dark circles under the eyes and looking as a patient