Fuels – The materials which are burnt to produce heat are known as fuels. There are several examples of fuel such as wood, coal, domestic gas (LPG), kerosene, diesel and petrol. Fuels are used in our daily life and it is the most important sources of energy. When fuels are burnt, the energy is released in the form of heat.
Nature of fuel – Most of the fuels are carbon compounds with hydrogen. When a fuel is burnt, it combines with the oxygen to form carbon dioxide and water vapour. There is a large amount of heat is produced throughout the process. There are three main sources of fuel such as petroleum, coal, and natural gas.
Role of fuels in daily life – Fuels plays an important role in our daily life activities because they are used in homes, transport, and industry.
- Fuels are used in homes for cooking food and other domestic heating purposes. There are several examples of fuels such as wood, kerosene, coal, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), cow-dung, charcoal and many more fuels are used in our homes for cooking and other activities.
- Fuels are used in transports such as bus, trucks, and trains for transporting men and materials from one place to another. Petrol is used as fuel for cars, and airplanes and diesel is used in trucks, buses, trains and ships.
- Fuels are used in industries for several running machines. The industrial boilers are heated by burning fuels such as coal, fuel oil or natural gas.
- Fuels are used for generating electricity. Coal or natural gas is used in thermal power plants for generating electricity.
- Fuels are used in rockets for exploring outer space. The special fuels are used in rockets are called propellants.