As per doctors, the low testosterone level may also affect the release of less semen during ejaculation. But it does not affect the capability of male individuals to have an organism. Low testosterone level also affects in reducing semen levels that can lead to infertility. Thus, less semen means low testosterone.
What is Semen
Semen is also known as a seminal fluid, which is produced from the male reproductive tract and contains sperm cells that are also capable of fertilizing the female’s eggs. It is also secreted by sexual glands and many other sexual organs of male individuals. Semen is also emitted and originates from the seminal vesicle that is placed in the pelvis. The process of discharging semen from the urethral orifice is known as ejaculation. Semen is formed in several places such as seminal vesicles, testicles, prostate, vas deferens, and many more.
Semen is also the fluid, which comes from the penis during ejaculation that contains sperm. It also contains fructose, sodium, protein, fat, and many more. It is made up of a combination of several fluids that have citrate, galactose, mucus, amino acids, spermatozoa, and mucus. The maximum amount of semen in each ejaculation of a male is about 2 to 5 ml. It is important to note that a normal male ejaculates around 200 to 300 sperm. The testicles continually produce sperm if they hit puberty during their entire life.
What are the causes of producing less semen?
Low semen means that the fluid that contains less sperm than normal during ejaculation. A low sperm count is also known as oligospermia but a complete absence of sperm is known as azoospermia. If you have less than 15 million sperm per millimeter of semen then the sperm count is lower as compared with the normal count. There are several causes of producing less semen are discussed below –
- Increase in age – When the age of male individuals increases then the amount of semen released throughout the ejaculation may reduce. Thus, increasing in age or getting older is the main cause of less semen count during ejaculation.
- Infection – Several infections may negatively impact sperm production that can cause scarring and blocks the passage of sperm such as inflammation of the epididymis, or testicle, and many sexually transmitted infections that includes HIV or gonorrhea.
- Drugs – Many drugs including anabolic steroids that can take for muscle strength may also cause the testicles and reduce sperm production or less semen. Marijuana or Cocaine may decrease the quality and number of sperm production which may cause less semen.
- Occupation – Several jobs or occupations can also be related to the increased risk of infertility among male people including welding or those linked with prolonged sitting such as truck driving.
- Obesity – It may also cause infertility in different ways that include directly impacting sperm and also causing hormone changes which lower infertility in male individuals.
- Radiation or X-rays – Exposure to radiation or X-rays can decrease the production of sperm which may take many years for sperm production to be normal. Sperm production might be permanently decreased with high doses of radiation.
- Industrial chemicals – Use or exposure to several industrial chemicals including pesticides, painting materials, benzenes, toluene, and many more may cause low sperm production.
What is Testosterone?
Testosterone is the main sex hormone in male people that plays an important role in the development of male reproductive tissues such as the prostate and testes. It is also one of the hormones that are referred to as androgens and are also called as anabolic steroids. Testosterone is derived from cholesterol as a steroid hormone and this hormone structure is the same as compared with all reptiles, fish, mammals, and birds. It also encourages secondary sexual characteristics such as bone mass, increased muscle, and enhance body hair. Testosterone is needed for the development of male sex organs in male people such as enhanced testes and penis size. It is also used to maintain sperm production, bone mass, sex drive, and muscle strength. Testosterone is also essential for women to lean muscle mass and maintain bone strength. It is also playing a vital role in maintaining sex drive and increasing sexual pleasure during intercourse among women.
The production of testosterone begins to enhance throughout puberty and starts to reduce after the age of 30 years. Testosterone is mainly linked with sex drive and plays a significant role in the production of sperm. But if the level of testosterone reduces then it may lead to several conditions including infertility or hypogonadism. Low testosterone can also associate with infertility in male individuals.
Main causes of Low Testosterone
An increase in age is the main cause of low testosterone levels in human beings. Generally, the production of testosterone starts to reduce after the age of 30 years. As per research, type 2 diabetes is the main cause of the low level of testosterone. The genetic condition is also the main cause of low testosterone levels that may affect the sex hormone-binding globulin and the Y chromosome. But young individuals can also have low testosterone levels due to depression and stress.
There are several other causes of low testosterone are given below –
- Treatments of cancer including radiation and chemotherapy
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Depression or stress
- The pituitary gland reduces or other hormone disorders
- Testicle injuries
- Genetic conditions such as Klinefelter syndrome
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Autoimmune disease
- Pituitary gland conditions
Symptoms of low testosterone
There are several symptoms of low testosterone are given below –
- Erection problems – Low testosterone can affect in maintaining or achieving erections but it is not always the main cause of erectile dysfunction. Testosterone promotes the penile tissues which help in producing nitric oxide and result in an erection. But when the level of testosterone is low then male individuals cannot capable to get an erection during ejaculation.
- Problem in sleeping – Individuals with low testosterone may affect in difficulty in sleeping. Now, low testosterone levels are very common in male people who are suffering from sleep apnea.
- Mood Changes– There are many evidences that individuals with low testosterone levels are probably to experience an irritability, depression, stress, and lack of concentration.
Conclusion – It can be proven that low testosterone levels may cause low semen during ejaculation. If you have any problem with low testosterone or sperm production then contact to your doctor for treatment.