Introduction – The Zika virus is the most often spread via mosquito bites to people. Most of the people are infected with the Zika virus with no signs and symptoms. Several people have a rash, muscle pain, and mild fever after being infected with the Zika virus. The Zika virus can also cause brain or nervous system complications in rare cases. Zika virus is also known as Zika fever or Zika virus disease. If any pregnant women are infected with the Zika virus then it increases the risk of miscarriage. This type of infection also enhances the risk of serious birth defects in infants such as a potentially fatal brain condition known as microcephaly.
Scientists are working on a vaccine for the treatment of the Zika virus. The best way to prevent the Zika virus infection is to avoid mosquito bites and decrease mosquito bites.
Causes – The Zika virus is the most often spread through mosquito bites to a person. The mosquitoes that carry the virus include the aedes species mosquitoes that can be found all around the world. If a mosquito bites a person that is already infected with the Zika virus then the virus infects the mosquito. After that when an infected mosquito bites to another person then this person is infected with the Zika virus. The virus also spread from a mother to the infant during pregnancy.
Zika virus is also spread through sexual contact from one person to another. In several cases, the virus also spread through blood transfusion or organ donation.
Symptoms – As per a report, 4 out of 5 people are infected with the Zika virus with no signs and symptoms. The symptoms of this infection may normally occur 14 days after being infected with the virus. There are some signs and symptoms of the Zika virus are given below –
- Mild fever
- Red eyes (conjunctivitis)
- Joint pain mainly in feet or hands
There are other signs and symptoms of this infection are given below –
- Abdominal pain
- Muscle aches
- Fatigue or a general feeling of discomfort
- Eye pain
Risk factors – There are some risk factors that may enhance the risk of being infected with Zika virus are given below –
- Unprotected sex – The Zika virus may spread through sexual contact from one person to another. After travel, having unprotected sex may enhance the risk of Zika virus infection for up to three months. Thus, you should use a condom during sexual activity to prevent the spread of the Zika virus. If your partner is travelling from Zika infected areas then you can also abstain from sexual activity for up to three months after travel.
- Carefully travelling in Zika infected areas – If you are travelling in that city where the Zika virus is spread dangerously then it may increase the risk of getting infected with this infection.
Prevention – There is no invention of a vaccine against of this infection to protect against the Zika virus but there are some steps to lower the risk of getting an infection with this virus are discussed below –
- Safe sex – If your partner who lived or travelled in that city where the Zika virus is spread then you should use a condom in sexual activity or abstain from sex for up to three months that lowering the risk of spreading this infection in your family.
- Wear protective clothes – When you visit any Zika virus-infected areas then should wear a long-sleeved shirt, socks, long pants, and shoes that prevent the mosquitoes bite and lowering the risk of Zika virus.
- Travel carefully – If you or your partner is pregnant then consult with your doctor before travelling to Zika infected areas due to it may increase the risk of miscarriage.
- Use mosquito bet net – You can sleep under a mosquito bed net that may lower the risk of getting infected with the Zika virus.
- Decrease mosquito habitat – You should drain the water from coolers, flower pots, and containers so that the water does not collect in one place and mosquitoes that carry with Zika virus cannot breed.
4 Comments Add yours
Beautifully written on Zika virus! These viruses corona, zika etcwill not give us peace anymore. Thank you for sharing 🙂🎉
LikeLiked by 1 person
Most welcome, thanks for appreciation and reading my post 😊
You are welcome.🙂☺😊💓🌹💝❤💞
LikeLiked by 1 person