Introduction – The chemical name of vitamin B3 is Niacin and it is a water-soluble vitamin. This vitamin is necessary for maintaining healthy skin, a good digestive tract, and boost mental health.
There are two important chemical forms of niacin and each one has different effects on the body are as discussed below –
- Nicotinic acid – It is a form of niacin that can be used in lowering cholesterol levels and reducing the risk of any heart disease.
- Niacinamide or nicotinamide – It is another form of niacin, which may help in treating psoriasis and lower the risk of non-melanoma skin cancer.
Both forms of niacin are present in several foods and also available as a supplement.
Health Benefits of Vitamin B3 (Niacin) – There are some of the benefits of vitamin B3 or Niacin which are as discussed below –
- Prevent heart diseases – This vitamin may help in lowering oxidative stress and inflammation that are involved in atherosclerosis or hardening the arteries. It also reduces LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and increases HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) which is good for heart health and lowers the risk of heart disease.
- Boost mental health – As per research, vitamin B3 helps in boosting mental health by improving the functions of the brain. This vitamin helps to protect the brain cells from damage and maintains brain health.
- Healthy skin – Vitamin B3 helps in protecting skin cells from the rays of the sun by applying as a lotion. As per research, niacin may help in preventing several types of skin cancer.
- Lower symptoms of Arthritis – As per a study, vitamin B3 is beneficial in easing some symptoms of osteoarthritis, improving the mobility of joints, and lowering the necessity for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Reduce the risk of Type 1 Diabetes – As per research, vitamin B3 may lowering the risk of type 1 diabetes and is also good for heart health.
Sources of Vitamin B3 or Niacin – The various sources of vitamin B3 are tomato, green vegetables, fish, potato, meat, legumes, ground-nut, and whole grains.