Plants are very important for life on the earth by releasing oxygen in the atmosphere, absorb carbon dioxide, regulate or maintains the water cycle and provide habitat or food for humans and animals.
The role of plants in the environment is discussed below –
- Plants help in maintaining the right levels of carbon dioxide and oxygen in the atmosphere through the process of photosynthesis and respiration. The plants also reduce air pollution caused by the presence of excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and give back healthy oxygen to the atmosphere.
- Plants also maintain the ozone layer which helps in protecting the life on the earth from ultra-violet radiation.
- Plants regulate the temperature of the atmosphere by transpiring continuously water that is present in their leaves and keeps evaporating continuously. The ‘’latent heat’’ required for the evaporation of water present in the leaves of the plant is taken from the atmosphere. By losing heat, the temperature of the atmosphere tends to come down and we feel comfortable.
- Plants also help in lowering carbon dioxide from the atmosphere that also reduces the greenhouse effect and global warming
- The plants or trees give us shade and timber (wood) which also control the level of noise and the weather by purifying and humidifying the air.
- The plants or trees put obstacles in the path of the wind and act as windbreakers by reducing its speed and prevents soil erosion.
- Plants also give several products for human beings such as fibers, medicines, oils, rubbers, firewood, pesticides, and timber.
- The trees check heat radiations and protect us from the glare of bright light sources like the sun.