Ketogenic Diet – It is a low carbohydrate, high-fat and adequate protein diet that is used in lowering weight and also to treat epilepsy especially in children with several other benefits.
This diet becomes very popular among youngsters due to rapidly fat loss. But the question arises – is the Keto diet is safe. Let us discuss this in detail
Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe – The ketogenic diet is very helpful for patients suffering from various diseases but still the question arises – is a ketogenic diet safe? The diet is good for people suffering from epilepsy. The main thing is shifting from a regular diet to a keto diet. In the regular diet, the intake of carbs is more than that of fat or protein. People who shift to the keto diet feel hungry and the situation lasts for two to three weeks.
Another thing that people feel is the symptoms of flu and headaches. The keto diet also leads to dehydration so people are suggested to take water and be hydrated till the body is used to the diet. There are many other side effects like vomiting, kidney stones, vitamin, and mineral deficiency. All these problems are due to a lack of certain nutrients, which people get from their regular diet.
People have to plan the ketogenic diet in such a way that they should get full nutrition and none of the essential things are missed. The people who want to take this diet must consult a dietitian and take their advice to plan the diet. People should consult with those dietitians who know about keto diet.
Since the intake of fat in this diet is high so people may also take bad fats along with the good ones. The bad fats can increase the cholesterol level in the body, which may further create heart problems. People who already suffer from heart disease must consult their doctor before adopting the keto diet.
Who should avoid the Keto diet? – In spite of being beneficial, the keto diet is harmful to some people who have any health issue. Here is the list of the people who should not take the keto diet.
- Eating disorders – People who suffer from eating disorders should not adopt the keto diet. Since many types of foods are to be eliminated, this may cause various types of problems in such people. There is an increase in the number of people who suffer from binge eating disorder and they need food without any restriction.
- Digestive disorder – Constipation is one of the side-effects of the keto diet. People may suffer from constipation due to low fiber and carbohydrates in the keto diet. So, if you are suffering from any stomach problem such as chronic constipation, and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) then avoid the keto diet.
- People with no gall bladder – Doctors mostly remove the gall bladder from the body of people who suffer from a gall bladder stone. Such people should not adopt the keto diet as the gall bladder helps in the digestion of fats with the help of bile. The high intake of fats in the keto diet will not be good for such people.
- Pregnant women – The pregnant women need to be extra careful about her eating habits and her diet. Women need a balanced or nutritious diet for the growth of the baby during pregnancy. Thus, if you are pregnant then avoid the keto diet that may be harmful for you.
- Kidney problem – if you are suffering from any kidney problem then the keto diet will put extra pressure on your organ and even worsen the symptom.
- Type 1 diabetes – People who suffer from type one diabetes should not take this diet as they fully depend on insulin. The keto diet may reduce the sugar to a dangerous level.
Conclusions – Ketogenic diet is good for people who suffer from obesity and want to reduce weight. The diet is also beneficial for many other diseases but still, it should be taken with care. Many researchers have suggested that people who want to adopt this diet should consult with their doctor before adopting it as there are many side effects.