Bluetooth technology – Bluetooth is a wireless advanced technology which is used in exchanging data between several different electronic devices. By using this technology, the easy and quick connections between electronic devices can be possible. It is a specification (IEEE 802.15.1) which is used in low power radio communications to connect computers, phones and other devices in short distance without the use of wire. The wireless signals with Bluetooth in small distances which is usually up to 30 feet (10 meters).
Concept of Bluetooth technology – The name “Bluetooth” technology is analogous to ‘blue eyed’ product. The basic idea behind this technology is to set rid of thick black cables running between monitor, keyboard, mouse, modem, printer, and telephone line. Bluetooth removes cables from almost everywhere such as TV,VCR, laptops, fax machines, scanners, and digital cameras. In fact, Bluetooth is a small and cheap radio chip which is designed to replace cables and transmitting it at a special frequency to a ‘receiver’ Bluetooth chip. This receiver then gives the information to a computer, phone or any other device.
This type of technology connects maximum eight devices all together and each electronic device provides a unique 48 bit address from the IEEE 802 standard with the connections being made point to point or multi point.
Applications of Bluetooth
There are some applications of Bluetooth which are discussed below
- Mobile phone can work as a modem to connect the laptop (computer).
- A digital or video camera may be used to shoot ‘stills’ or ‘short movies’, and instantly be sent to a friend’s cell phone.
- A variety of products such as TVs, washing machines, refrigerators, PCs or phones can be connected to communicate with each other.
- Sharing of multimedia data by using Bluetooth technology in several electronic devices such as videos, images, and songs.
- By using Bluetooth technology, a phone with a headset that works and connect wirelessly.
- Wireless mouse and keyboards are launched through Bluetooth technology.
- Business reminders can be transferred from a home PC to the car in garage, before stepping out for office.
- Data logging equipment which broadcast data to a computer by using Bluetooth technology.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Bluetooth
There are some of the Benefits and Drawbacks of Bluetooth which are discussed below
Benefits of Bluetooth
There are some of the benefits of Bluetooth technology which are discussed below
- This type of technology is implementing in several products such as printer, GPS system, head set, in car system, web cam, GPS system, keyboard and mouse.
- Bluetooth devices are available at low cost.
- It has low power consumption.
- By using FHSS technique, Bluetooth has less interference as compared to other wireless technologies and data communication is more secure.
- Bluetooth has range better than Infrared communication..
- It is used for share voice and data between electronic devices.
Drawbacks of Bluetooth Technology
There are some of the drawbacks of Bluetooth Technology which are as discussed below –
- The bandwidth of Bluetooth is lower than Wi-Fi technology.
- It has slower data transmission rate as compared to other hardware interfacing technologies.
- The main drawback of Bluetooth is security due to it operates on Radio frequency and therefore can enter via walls. Hence this technology is not to use for personal data transfer due to low security.
- The range of Bluetooth is very limited as compared to Wi-Fi.