Oats – Oats are commonly served in morning for breakfast and it contains high protein, dietary fibers and folates. Its scientific name is Avena and generally called as Jaei in India. At the time of summer season, it is grown in the temperate regions of all over the world. In our country, it is grown in the regions of foothills of Himalayas and states such as Bihar, U.P., Punjab and many more.
Oats are available in several types in the market in any season such as porridge, steel-cut oats, oat bran rolled oats, and instant oats with sweeteners Majority of the people take oats with milk during breakfast.
Health benefits of oats – There are several health benefits of oats which are discussed below
- The fibers are present in the oats known as beta-glucan which is helpful in reducing the bad cholesterol level in the blood and increases the good cholesterol level so it is beneficial for healthy heart.
- It has an antioxidant known as avenanthramide which is helpful in lowering the dangerous effects of free radicals and preventing cardiovascular diseases.
- It maintains the blood pressure which causes several diseases.
- Oats contain fibers which is beneficial to control the blood flow in all over the body and lower the risk of formation of blood clot, heart diseases, and stroke.
- Oats improves the immunity system hence it prevents the several infections which is caused by the bacteria, virus and fungus.
- It has insoluble and soluble dietary fibers which is helpful in lower the risk of type-2-diabetes by maintaining the sugar level in the blood.
- The phytochemical known as lignans are present in oats and change into the enterolactone by the friendly bacteria which prevents the breast, prostate, endometrial, and ovarian cancer.
- Oats has fibers which improve the functioning of large intestine and bowel movements which reduce the risk of colon cancer and rectum cancer.
- The high protein level in oats contains fatty acids and vitamin B which controls the weight of the body.
- It also useful in curing many problems of the digestion such as stomach cancer, irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea, inflammatory bowel disease and diverticulosis.
- It has good source of fatty acids and carbohydrates which is beneficial for providing immediate energy to the body.
- Oats has a great source of minerals, protein and vitamins which is useful in making strong muscles and bones.
- It is beneficial for removing the dandruff and dirt from the hair which prevents hair loss and keeps the hair healthy.